St. Mary's Catholic Church

In 1886 the C.B.& Q. Railroad moved their shops to Leffler Station and the City of West Burlington was called into being.

George Pohren donated an acre of land for St. Mary’s Church & School.  He “contracted”  people to donate the funds and farmers in the area hauled the bricks and construction began.

St. Mary’s Church was dedicated in August, 1886.  In 1888 the Bishop appointed a resident pastor.  At that time the rectory was built from money advanced by the C.B.& Q. Land Company.  A one room addition was built to the brick church and school to provide a home for the sisters.

It was about this time that cemetery space was donated by Frank Renner.   St. Mary’s Cemetery is located on Gear Avenue in West Burlington, IA.   In the center plat a wooden cross was erected.

On the Feast of the Epiphany in 1913, the church, school, and sister’s convent were destroyed by fire.  A new church was built and dedicated on Memorial Day, May 30, 1917

Construction of the Grotto began in 1929 by parishioners and families from the area.  A statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary is located inside the Grotto. The Grotto is still maintained by volunteers.

At the end of the school year in 1960 the State Fire Marshall closed St. Mary’s school.  Plans for the construction of the new school followed.  That building is currently used for the Parish offices, library, parish activities and meetings.

St. Patrick's Catholic Church

St. Patrick’s  Church was located at 1204 Washington Street in Burlington, IA.  It was dedicated October  9, 1870.  A box was placed in the corner stone of the Church consisting of Hawk-Gazette, Burlington Hawk-Eye newspapers and a “Testament” in Latin prepared for the occasion.

In 1873 a parochial school began in the basement of the church.  The Sisters of Charity provided the religious and academic instruction for the children.  A frame building was added south of the church.  This provided residence for the Sisters on the first floor and additional classrooms on the second floor. 
1901 the pastor and parishioners dealt with a devastating fire.  The parishioners rebuilt St. Patrick’s.

April 27, 1912 St. Patrick’s was incorporated. 

In 1915 a new three story school was built on Washington Street across from the church.

In November 1998 St. Patrick’s of Burlington and St. Mary’s of West Burlington merged to form one parish with two worship sites.  The Church today is known as SS. Mary & Patrick and located in West Burlington.

In 2002 the decision was made to suspend the Masses due to the new construction of Washington Street.  After the completion of the new street and the Central Street overpass yet another tough decision was made to permanently close the Church. A final Mass was held on the Church lawn June 8, 2003.

SS. Mary & Patrick Church

In 2003 after the final Mass at St. Patrick’s Church committees were formed to began combining many of the religious articles from St.  Patrick’s Church with SS. Mary & Patrick Church.  Some of those articles included  the main altar, marble Holy Water Fonts, Stations of the Cross, and statues.  We have many ongoing parish activities such as our major fundraiser the annual Fall Festival dinner, annual Garage sale, Altar & Rosary Organization, First Friday Adoration, Giving Tree at Christmas and Advent Projects to name a few. 

Our Lady of Grace Grotto

Our Lady of Grace Grotto was started  in the spring of 1929 by two Benedictine priests.  The Grotto was dedicated on July 13, 1931.  The Grotto was built entirely of donated rocks and geodes.  Contributions were received from every state and many foreign nations, including the Holy Land.
Inside the Grotto is a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary.  The domed interior sparkles with the glint of quartz crystals found in the geodes.
Through the years the parishioners have volunteered their time and talent to restore, maintain, and make the necessary improvements to keep the area a visitor’s attraction year after year.
You are invited to stop by and enjoy the beauty and peaceful surrounding of the Grotto.